Tuesday, November 19, 2013

[Guest Post] Emily

Hi! I'm Emily and I blog over at This Lovely Life.
A big thanks to Sarah for inviting me to guest post over on her blog. Her blog is on top of my list of favorite blogs to read! She is such a dear friend as well. 
I am a learning photographer,chasing the dream of having my own business doing what I love....PHOTOGRAPHY. Sarah asked me to share some photography tips! I'll be quite honest. These will be rather random,but we will do our best!
 1-Photography should be fun!
There is a lot of technical stuff one has to learn to take good photos. You have to learn the basics in order to do a good job. BUT, you should have fun while doing it! The shot doesn't always have to be perfect. It can be creative,different,and whatever else you want it to be. You are holding the camera,so YOU are the artist! With the exception of paid sessions,where a client might expect a particular style,you should try to be as creative and unique as you want!
 2-Take pictures of everything!
Portraits are great! You should definitely take portraits. Capture moments that shouldn't be forgotten. But sometimes,the best shots are of just normal everyday things. Like teacups and film rolls for instance;)
 3-Catch the moment.
The best shots are the ones you catch when people don't know they're being photographed. A groom stealing a kiss,a child reading a book,or a man playing an instrument. All these are good examples of great photos. Posed shots are great as well,but people tend to look more natural and relaxed when they aren't looking at the camera.
 4-Don't get discouraged.
Sometimes I go out and take sixty photos,put them on my computer,and find that I only like three of them. Never fear! This is where digital editing comes in handy! Learn to use editing tools to help you manipulate your photo into the shot you want. Cheating? Well maybe just a little. It definitely helps out in a pinch!
 5-Try different angles.
Taking shots at different angles really adds something to your work. Lay your camera on the ground to get a great shot of small animals. Use both vertical and horizontal. Use the macro setting and get up close to your subject.


6-Look for different lighting situations.
I use to always take pictures outside. I didn't like using indoor light. Experience is the best teacher. Working with all the different light situations, helps you know what to do in a pinch. It also helps you learn what to avoid.(Spotty shade)
 7-Practise.
Take your camera to all your events. Ball games,weddings,family reunions,trips to the fair,etc. Always have it with you on pretty days. Use your photographer's eye. Look for things that would make a good picture. The more you look the more you will find,and the better you will get! Practice makes perfect!:)

"When words become unclear,I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence."
-Ansel Adams

4 comments:

  1. Great photos tips Emily, thank you for sharing on Sarah's blog! :)

    Blessings,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Thanks Emily For posting to my blog today. I love the pictures, and the tips are great. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you'll be a great photographer. love from Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just adore your blog! You are very talented and have such a great skill at photography! Glad I came across your blog...looking forward to upcoming posts. If you have the time, feel free to check out my own blog at: www.likenootherfashion.blogspot.com

    Ashley B.

    ReplyDelete